What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded onto your computer through websites. They are tools that play an essential role in the provision of many services of the Information Society. Among other things, they allow a website to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or their computer and, depending on the information obtained, they can be used to recognise the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
Depending on the entity that manages the domain from which the cookies are sent and who processes the data obtained, two types can be distinguished:
- Own cookies: those sent to the user's terminal from a computer or domain managed by the website publisher itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: those that are sent to the user's device from a computer or domain that is not managed by the website's publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
If cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the website's publisher itself, but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, these cannot be considered as own cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the length of time they remain stored on the user's browser, which can be:
- Session cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user is accessing a web page. These are often used to store information that is only relevant to the provision of the service requested by the user on one occasion (e.g. a list of products purchased).
- Persistent cookies: the data remains stored on the device and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the party responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies depending on the purpose for which the data obtained is processed:
- Technical cookies: these allow the user to browse through a website, platform or application and use the different options or services that exist therein, such as controlling data traffic and communication, identifying the session, accessing restricted access areas, remembering the elements that make up an order, carrying out the purchase process of an order, applying for registration or participation in an event, using security elements while browsing, storing content for the broadcasting of videos, sound or sharing content through social networks.
- Personalisation cookies: they allow the user to access the service with some general predefined characteristics set according to a series of criteria in the user's device, such as the language, the type of browser they use to access the service, the regional configuration from which they accesses the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: they allow the monitoring and analysis of users' behaviour in the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookie is used in measuring the activity of the websites, applications or platforms and to create browser profiles of the users of these sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of the how the users of the service use the data.
- Advertising cookies: these enable the most efficient management of the advertising spaces.
- Behavioural advertising cookies: they store information about the users’ behaviour obtained through continuous observation of their browsing habits, this enables the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on this behaviour.
Disabling and deleting cookies
You have the option of allowing, blocking or deleting the cookies installed on your computer by setting the options of the browser installed on your computer. If cookies are disabled, some of the services available may no longer be operational. The way to disable cookies is different for each browser, but it can usually be done from the Tools or Options menu. You can also consult the browser's Help menu where you can find instructions. The user may choose which cookies to use on this website at any time.
You may allow, block or delete cookies installed on your computer by setting the options of the browser installed on your computer:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/block-websites-storing-cookies...
In addition, you can also manage the cookie storage in your browser through tools such as the following:
- Ghostery: www.ghostery.com/
- Your online choices: www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/
Cookies used by ti.care
The own cookies that are being used in this portal are identified below:
- SSESS<numbers_and_letters>: Session Cookie which once identified on the platform allows you to browse through its pages.
- _ga: Google Analytics Cookie used to deliver aggregated statistics on the website usage.
- _gat: Google Analytics Cookie used to deliver aggregated statistics on the website usage.
- _gid: Google Analytics Cookie used to deliver aggregated statistics on the website usage.
- Drupal.visitor.login_history: Maintains a history of users' connections to the site.
- PHPSESSID: This cookie is native to PHP and allows the site to store serialised state data. On this website it is used to establish user sessions by passing state data through a temporary cookie also known as a Session Cookie.
In view of this information, the following actions can be carried out:
- Accept cookies. This notice will not be displayed again when accessing any page of the portal during this session.
- Close. The notice is hidden on this page.